Dogs and cats: 10 toxic foods to avoid!

360Petsupplies | Blog | Dogs And Cats: 10 Toxic Foods To Avoid!

It's well known that our 30 million friends are gourmets… and their masters love to see them enjoy themselves! But to avoid unpleasant surprises, it is still necessary to avoid foods that are too fatty, salty or sweet and banish toxic foods. With the help of veterinarian Dr Brigitte Leblanc, sweeps away the ingredients that harm our friends!

Grapes, avocado, raw potato… These seemingly harmless foods can turn out to be toxic for our 30 million friends. Overview.

1. Chocolate

The toxicity of chocolate is now well known for our animals. So, if you have a few Easter eggs or chocolate bunnies left, be sure to leave them out of your pets' reach! “ The more theobromine it contains, the more toxic it is; therefore in decreasing order of seriousness: dark chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate , informs veterinarian Dr. Brigitte Leblanc. And the higher the dark chocolate is in percentage of cocoa, the more toxic it is ”. Not to mention the cocoa powder. For example, a mere 23 gram serving of dark chocolate can begin to intoxicate a 10 kilo dog! “ The general signs arrive in one to a few hours , alerts the specialist. Thirst, vomiting, agitation, tremors, which can lead to heart problems and death. »

2. Coffee

Caffeine, as well as theobromine and theophylline produced during the digestion of coffee can lead to the same type of intoxication as chocolate. “ Certainly, it is rare for our dogs and cats to take coffee , nuances the veterinarian. But trendy energy drinks contain a lot of caffeine and are much more attractive. “So be careful not to leave your cans lying around…

3. Table salt

" Most often, intoxication does not manifest itself when ingesting salty foods (such as aperitif biscuits) but by ingesting table salt or a large quantity of salted water, or even objects made of salt dough, brines or salt spread on the roads in winter , warns Dr. Leblanc. The signs are ataxia (motor incoordination), intense thirst, seizures. For a 10 kilo dog, ingesting 50 grams of table salt can be fatal. The first instinct should be to make the animal drink, then take it to the nearest veterinary clinic.

4. Alliums

Onions, garlic, shallots, leeks – which belong to the alliaceae family – cooked or raw, are toxic for our companions. In question: organic sulfur derivatives responsible for the destruction of red blood cells. Symptoms are manifested, a few days after ingestion, by loss of blood in the urine, anemia and weakness. “ Poisoning can occur when large quantities are ingested (watch out for vegetable garden owners!) or when ingested repeatedly ,” explains the practitioner. To give an idea, an onion – the most toxic food – is harmful for a 10 kg dog. Our feline friends, too, can be intoxicated, but their symptoms are less visible.

5. Raw potato

Beware of raw potatoes (cooked ones are safe)! Raw, the potato is as toxic in humans as in animals, given the solanine it contains, raw starch can also cause significant digestive disorders " We must not forget that if the potato earth remains stuck, there is a risk of esophageal obstruction and suffocation , warns the veterinarian. The symptoms of poisoning are neurological: ataxia, paralysis, coma (especially when the ingested tubers are sprouted or green) ”.

6. Grapes

Although its toxic principle is still unknown, grapes – fresh or dried – can be dangerous for animals. " A simple bunch of fresh grapes is toxic for a 10-kilo dog ," informs B. Leblanc. With digestive symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) then acute renal failure, one to three days after ingestion. “Since raisins are more concentrated, the toxic dose would be lower…

7. Macadamia nuts

The only poisonous nut in our dogs and cats is the Macadamia nut, raw or cooked. “ So be careful with the aperitif, cakes and other cookies , recommends the specialist. If no case of death has a priori been reported, digestive disorders can be significant. »

8. The Lawyer

Its toxicity may come as a surprise, but the avocado – its flesh, its shell and its kernel – should be banned for our 30 million friends. The persin it contains – a fatty acid – is responsible for the appearance of digestive and then respiratory disorders. And if ingested, the kernel can be responsible for digestive obstruction.

9. Lactose

If it is not really toxic, cow's milk is however poorly digested by dogs and cats. “ Like us, animals have lost the ability to digest lactose ,” notes Dr. Leblanc. Another non-toxic but controversial food: cereals. “ The question of cereals in kibbles is still a lot of talk; but removing them completely from our dogs' rations has no scientific justification: they have the enzymatic capital necessary for the digestion of starch. In cats, certain diets (kibbles for dogs, vegetarian kibbles), if they are not "toxic", can lead to serious illnesses such as retinal degeneration, heart damage or developmental abnormalities.

10. Alcohol

If it seems obvious not to give alcohol to your animals, its ingestion can be accidental, via the absorption of rotten fruit or alcoholic cake batter. “ The symptoms are behavioral changes, balance disorders, dehydration , notes the practitioner. There may even be death from heart failure. »

On this food list, do not forget the non-food products but present in the environment of the animals. This is the case of certain green plants, poisonous mushrooms, or cleaning products!

Read also


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here