Leaving your dog home alone can be a daunting task, especially if you’re not sure how to prepare them. But don’t worry, we’re here to help! Here are 10 things you should do before leaving your dog at home for 2 hours:
- Take your dog for a walk or play fetch. This will help them get some exercise and tire them out, so they’re more likely to relax while you’re gone.
- Give your dog plenty of water. Make sure they have access to fresh, clean water at all times, especially if you’re leaving them for a longer period of time.
- Leave your dog in a safe place. This could be their crate, a designated room, or even the entire house, depending on their personality and training.
- Provide your dog with toys or activities. This will help keep them entertained and prevent them from getting bored or destructive.
- Turn on some background noise. This could be the radio, TV, or even a fan. The noise will help to mask any sounds that might startle your dog while you’re gone.
- Leave a note for your dog. This might seem silly, but it can actually help to comfort your dog and make them feel less alone.
- Ask a neighbor or friend to check in on your dog. This is especially important if you’re leaving your dog for an extended period of time.
- Come home as soon as possible. The longer you’re gone, the more likely your dog is to get bored or anxious.
- Pay attention to your dog’s behavior when you get home. If they seem anxious or destructive, you may need to adjust your routine.
- Reward your dog for being good while you were gone. This will help them to associate being alone with positive things.
Following these tips will help you to ensure that your dog is safe and comfortable while you’re gone. And with a little practice, they’ll be able to handle being home alone for 2 hours (or even longer) like a pro!
Here are some additional tips that you may find helpful:
- If your dog is prone to separation anxiety, you may want to start by leaving them for shorter periods of time and gradually increasing the amount of time you’re gone.
- If you have a puppy, you’ll need to take them out to potty more often, so you may want to limit the amount of time you’re gone until they’re fully potty trained.
- If you have a dog that is destructive, you may want to crate them while you’re gone or put away any items that they could chew on.
- If you have any concerns about leaving your dog home alone, you can always talk to your veterinarian. They can help you to create a safe and comfortable plan for your dog
tips on check-ups while you are gone or using a service to check on your dog
- If you are using a service to check on your dog, make sure you choose a reputable company. There are many different services available, so do some research and read reviews before you choose one.
- Make sure the service you choose provides regular check-ins. You should be able to get updates on your dog’s health and behavior throughout the day.
- Ask the service about their policies in case of an emergency. What will they do if your dog gets sick or injured while you are gone?
- Be prepared to pay a fee for the service. The cost will vary depending on the company and the level of service you choose.
Here are some additional tips for check-ups while you are gone:
- Set up a webcam so you can check in on your dog remotely. This is a great way to see how your dog is doing and to make sure they are not getting into any trouble.
- Leave a note for the person who is checking on your dog. This will let them know your dog’s routine and any special instructions you have.
- Make sure your dog has a collar with their name and your contact information on it. This is important in case your dog gets lost or injured while you are gone.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your dog is safe and healthy while you are gone.
Here are some additional services that you can use to check on your dog while you are gone:
- PetBacker is a service that connects you with local pet sitters and walkers. You can book a service through their website or app.
- BarkBuddy is another service that connects you with local pet sitters and walkers. They also offer a live webcam service so you can check in on your dog remotely.
- Rover is a popular service that allows you to book pet sitting and dog walking services. They also offer a house sitting service if you need someone to stay in your home while you are gone.
These are just a few of the many services that are available. Do some research and find one that fits your needs and budget